The One With The Met

16:24


The Path through the Irises, Claude Monet 
On a cold, snowy winters day where else do you go but The Met? The Metropolitan Museum of Art, located on Museum Mile/5th Av, is my favorite New York museum. Whilst many know it for its Gossip Girl steps, the artwork that the Met holds inside is much more impressive, making it easy to believe that it is the most visited museum in New York.


One of the greatest things about being a student in New York is that most museums or art galleries offer free entry. However, even if you're not a student the Met is a great cheap place to go to because the admissions fee is only a recommended prices. This means that whilst they 'recommend' you donate $20, you can actually put as little as you want in, be it $5 or $1. Whilst you do feel a bit guilty not supporting such a wonderful establishment by only paying a dollar, the mass amounts of people who visit the Met quickly reassures you.

Occupying over 2,000,000 square foot, the Met is a museum that cannot be easily done in one trip. When I go I normally pick a few galleries that I want to see and spend some quality time in them, rather than rushing around trying to fit them all in. If you're really not sure what you want to see then just pick one of the color coded sections on their map and go there.

This time, we started off in the Islamic Art section, taking in the sweeping tapestries, cobalt blue mosaics and folio Qurans. We then made our way through multiple galleries in our effort to find my favorite section; European Paintings, 1250-1800. Gallery 815 holds Degas pastel paintings and sculptures, invoking the wannabe ballerina in me. I've always loved Degas and whenever I go to an art museum, whether it be in London, Paris or New York I always search out his artwork.

What I love about The Met is not just the artwork it contains but the building itself. Sometimes I find myself standing in awe at the interior of the galleries rather than the artwork itself. Even better is the roof. Whilst it wasn't open this time of year, I managed to go up there on my previous visits, one in the middle of summer and one in the midst of autumn ('fall'). The view is arguably one of the best in Manhattan, and whilst the idea is to go to the roof to view the latest commission (this year's was Dan Graham with GΓΌnther Vogt), most people, myself very much included, just go to take a good panorama shot of the New York skyline. In the summer you can grab a drink from the bar and enjoy the scenery. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images